Young Engineer for Britain 2010-2011
The competition aims to encourage and reward creative, innovative and unique marketable projects.
If you are creative, innovative and enterprising – then you have the potential to be an engineer and to help change the world for the better.
Who Can Enter
The age groups are:
Group 2. 14 -16 Years old (year groups 10 and 11 or equivalent)
Group 1. 16 -19 Years old (year groups 12 & 13 or equivalent)
Projects can be from any branch of engineering: civil, design, electronic, electrical, mechanical, IT – if its engineering then its eligible.
- Come up with a bright idea, this could be an everyday task, a social need or a brilliant innovation. However your project must contain an engineering, technology or design element!
- Dream up a creative solution to address your bright idea.
- Read all of the competition information located on this website, especially the terms and conditions!
- Register your entry with Young Engineers.
- Carry out market research.
- Design and develop your project and consumer test your idea for user reaction.
- Consider protecting your project or idea with intellectual property rights and patenting.
- Create a design portfolio and photograph your project either complete or nearing completion, you may use your GCSE/ A-level or equivalent course work (a copy is fine); PowerPoint or video is also acceptable.
- Demonstrate and display your project at a regional final starting with a short presentation followed by a question and answer session with the judges.
Students that enter YEB can showcase their projects at a regional event and compete for awards, each age group overall winner will be considered for the national final, in addition other projects of merit will also be considered for the final. Students that are selected for the national final will be able to compete for cash prizes, special awards and upto three projects will be selected to attend the Intel ISEF in the USA.
Awards at Regional and National Finals (per age group)
Design, Innovation and Presentation
Product Develoment and Marketability
Manufacture and Finsh
Overall Young Engineer for Britain Age Group Winner
In addition all students that enter receive certificates of achievement, national finalists receive amazing goodies whether they win or not. The Young Engineer for Britain National Final is part of the Young Engineers Annual Celebration of Engineering which is held at The Big Bang Fair in March.
You should then confirm with your regional organiser that you will attend the event with your project.
Projects at the regional final are also eligibible for the National Science and Engineering Competition and students can dual enter via our entry form. You may also wish to consider using your project to achieve a CREST Award.
If you are unable to make your government region final then please contact the regional organiser and us here at Young Engineers and we will try to find a more suitable event for you to attend.
In addition to receiving your invitaiton to the regional final you will be provided with the event schedule and informaiton on the display stands etc.
Entries received via the YEB brochure will be treated in the same manner as the online registrations.
However, regional organisers may accept late entries up until a week prior to the event – please check out the dates for your regioanl final.